Courses for Schools
Mental Health Awareness Programs
An Introduction to the Youth Mental Health First Aid Certificate (accredited) – 2 days
The 14-hour Youth Mental Health First Aid Course is for adults who work, live or care for adolescents, such as school staff, parents, sports coaches, community group leaders and youth workers.
- You will learn how to assist an adolescent who may be experiencing a mental health problem or mental health crisis until appropriate professional help is received or the crisis resolves, using a practical, evidence based action plan.
- This course is based on guidelines developed through the expert consensus of people with lived experience of mental health problems and professionals.
Key Learning Objectives:
- These courses teach you how to support a person who is experiencing a mental health problem using an action plan.
- These courses improve your knowledge of mental illnesses, their treatments, first aid strategies and confidence in providing support.
- These courses help to decrease the stigma around mental health.
ABOUT THE COURSE
This course teaches you how to provide initial support to other adults who may be experiencing a mental health problem or mental health crisis until appropriate professional is received or the crisis resolves, using a practical, evidence based Action Plan.
The mental health problems covered:
- Anxiety problems
- Substance use problems
Mental Health crises covered:
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Non-suicidal self-injury
- Panic attacks
- Traumatic events
- Severe psychotic states
- Severe effects from alcohol or other drug use
- Aggressive behaviours
Note: this course is not a therapy or a support group.